Chilli is a fruit of the trees of the genus Capsicum of the Solanaceae family. Chili is considered as a spice or a vegetable which is popular in the world. Chili originated from the America. Today it is grown all over the world and is used as a spice, vegetable, and medicine.
2. Nutrients of chilli
5 g of chilli contain 4 mg of vitamin C, 1.6 mg of vitamin E, 0.5 mg of niacin, 0.1 mg of vitamin B6, 7.8 mg of calcium, 8 mg of magnesium, 106 mg of potassium, 0, 1 mg of zinc, 0.1 mg of manganese, 0.4 mg of iron, 1.6 mg of sodium.
3. Medicinal properties of chilli
The benefit of spicy food is to help improve function of the heart. The spicy taste due to capsaicin can lower bad cholesterol levels. In a study published by the American Chemical Society, scientists have found that capsaicin reduces LDL by increasing the flow of blood, blocking a gene that narrows blood vessel walls. Research by scientists shows that capsaicin can slow the growth of prostatic and pancreatic cancer cells. Capsaicin can also relieve pain. In addition, it helps increase the amount of nitric oxide in the blood, fight inflammation and lower blood pressure.
4. Chilli powder
Chili powder is the dried, pulverized fruit of one or more varieties of chili pepper. It is used as a spice (or spice blend) to add pungency and flavor to culinary dishes.
Chili powder is used in many different cuisines, including American (particularly Tex-Mex), Chinese, Indian, Korean, Mexican, Portuguese, and Thai.
5. Ways to make chilli powder
- 1 glass box
- Mill or grinder
- Step 1: Choose fresh chilli, wash, drain it or you can dry each fruit. After draining, remove all stalks of chili, halve and may remove seeds. Start drying chili.
- Step 2: Drying chilli in two ways: sunshine and oven. If you dry the chili outside, you should choose sunny weather and it only takes 3 days to get the dried chili. And the other way is to dry it in an oven with 150 Celsius degrees for about 3-4 minutes.
- Step 3: You put dried chilli into the grinder.
Chilli powder can be well preserved for more than a year if properly stored. Store in a tightly closed jar and keep away from light. If the amount of chilli powder is large, it can be refrigerated.